Saturday, December 03, 2011

Bass In The Office

There's no way to really get a sense of how big this bass is.
The neck is like a baseball bat.

When Joanie went to the Surrey Arts Instrument Hire to pick up a cello for Katie, she saw a plethora of violins, violas, and other string instruments, stacked on racks to the ceiling, and leaning in corners. “My husband would be very interested in those double basses you have,” she told the young supervisor.

“Tell him he can loan one out for free if he wants. That would do us a favor and reduce some of the clutter here,” he said.

Bass. What a cool instrument. And how expensive to get into. Not an impulse, midlife crisis thing to do, go buy or even rent a bass. No sirree, Bob.

I was very interested. 

So we went down to the Instrument Hire and picked up a bass for free. I guess they’ll call me if they need it. I was told this was the second bass he’s loaned out in three years. And he got a call from someone who said they’d opened a closet and found two more stuck away.

I guess I’m safe for now.

Now all I have to do is play it. No easy task. I know the notes, but the scale on a double bass is longer than an electric bass. You have to finger differently. And it takes STRENGTH  in your hand to play a note. Those jazz guys you see playing double bass so easily, no problemo, must be able to rip into bank vaults with their bare hands. Me not there yet. In fact, I could probably accelerate arthritis if I don’t take it easy and get the strength together slowly.

But what a cool instrument. Thank You, Lord.

No comments: