Thursday, December 08, 2011

Protest and Small Vacation

We tried to look large and protesty on the street opposite the Iranian Embassy. We did what we could, but what effect did we have? The Lord is the one who can save life and bless obedience to the death.

Here on the backstreets of Knightsbridge is a quaint house and a hot car. Makes you curious who lives there, doesn't it?

It was nice to have a place like the Catholic Cathedral to sit in with cool air and seats.

This happened back in September. I had heard about the protest to be made outside the Iranian Embassy for Pastor Nadarkhanni, who was on death row in Iran for not converting to Islam. I was going to meet a friend in the city later on that day anyway. I decided to join the protest.

It took me a while to find the Iranian Embassy. I came up a bit late for the start. But I prayed and sung hymns with the rest of the small crowd. It was a cloudless, hot day with the shady trees of Hyde Park behind us. Nicky Gumbel from Holy Trinity Brompton came, spoke through the bullhorn, led us in a prayer and benediction.

Then I set out to meet my friend, but I had some time still, and I used it to get utterly lost. I had been very weary of my schedule, with no real time off to lie fallow and get some perspective. So I used the time to wander and look around me and do nothing except take pictures when it moved me. I walked backstreets in an expensive part of London, way off the tourist paths. I went into the Catholic Cathedral right next to Holy Trinity Brompton, sat down, and prayed for a while. I even went to Harrod’s and looked at things too expensive. Like a museum.

Then I met my friend and we had a good talk. We turned a corner, even, and went from being okay acquaintances to being better friends.

God is so good to give times of rest and relaxation in the midst of work and burden.

No comments: