Thursday, February 09, 2012

Siegen Trip

Our first night in Siegen we went out for some real Siegerlander food at The Black Sheep. It was Schnitzel Night. Left to right: Conor Berry, Andrew Rann, John Golightly, Daniel Flores.

We slept at the Bible College dorms and walked in to the church for meals. This was morning, in front of the church, overlooking the Sieg River.

One of the guys scrapes his car at the Bible College villa. Overhead you can just see the tallest Autobahn bridge in Germany. 

From January 23-27 I got to take part in a pastor’s conference in Siegen, Germany, at the Calvary Chapel I used to work at before I moved to England. I had the idea to ask Conor Berry (pastoring in Bristol) if he wanted to come with me. He did, and we had a fun time being together. What a great guy!

When you go to a conference, you really want the Lord to speak to you. He did to me this time. I found myself admonished to not look for the approval or sympathy of others. I can offer those things where I am overlooked or suffering directly to the Lord as worship. Thank the Lord that His ways are higher and better than ours.

Conor and I had time to shop for German goodies for the flight home: dense German bread, Brötchen (nice bread rolls), Nußecken (triangles made of ground up nuts and the corners dipped in chocolate), Almdudler (an Austrian soft drink the girls love).

While the conference was on I was reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in years. One friend found me at dinner. He told me what had been happening with him, and we firmed up plans for me to speak at his church in May. I was able to pray with a friend who is battling cancer. The Lord gave me encouragement for him, to help him endure the treatment he was about to undergo.

Praise the Lord for letting me have this time, for blessing on so many different levels and ways. And the girls really liked the bread, too. Total score!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pix of the river and clouds. ;) Glad you enjoyed Germany - even though it was snowy. :)

Conor Berry said...

Great post and great trip with you brother. Thanks for sharing this. Inspires me to get back on my blog as well! Blessings.