Friday, August 12, 2011

Creation Fest 3 Gungor

I snuck backstage to get closer to Gungor.
One group stuck out to me at the Creation Fest this year. With a name like “Gungor”, you don’t know what to expect, maybe a bunch of barbarians? I was intrigued when I learned people had come to the Fest because they heard Gungor would be there.

During the sound check I was at the Information Table around the corner from the main stage. I heard a Fender Stratocaster electric guitar sound very “stratty” and I had to see who was playing that.  

The guitarist laid down his Strat, picked up a banjo and played complex musical phrases on it. Not “Hee Haw” stuff - this was like jazz phrasing. Then he picked up his acoustic guitar and it sounded like it was in a cathedral.

As you can see in the photo, there is also a cellist, keyboardist, bassist, drummer. All very musical and proficient. I thought anything these guys do is going to be cool. The group impressed me with their calm professionalism, just making the monitor mix, being patient and not frantic or showing off.

The concert that night was moving. Many people surged to the Information Table asking for CDs of the group. It was really something to hear different music besides the “three chords and the truth” thing that bands tend to do.

We are going to buy their latest CD and get to know them. Just wanted to let you know about Gungor.

1 comment:

uftou said...

Thanks for the recommendation Rob.
Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Uftou