Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Solid Weekend



I said earlier we went home to do our weekend thing. That means church, but my weekend was not the usual thing. After a full service I went home, ate lunch in ten minutes, and got in the car to drive to Norbury. That’s out Streatham way.

There is a Calvary Chapel there, and the services are done in Punjabi and Urdu. Its pastor, Ilyas Mughal, had asked me on Friday to teach for him. He had to attend a funeral in Italy. I have long wanted to meet with them, not even to teach, just meet them, just be a fly on the wall, just see how they do church. So this was a dream come true.

I drove and drove. There are twelve million people in London. I figure most of them were driving in front of me, I was going so slow. I got there half an hour after the service started, but the worship band (above) was still playing, thank the Lord.

I was thinking about what to teach, and finally decided I would do the most good if I taught Psalm 1. I had other messages with me, but I hadn’t had time to refresh myself on them. It would have been like reading someone else’s notes. Not good.

I asked if there was going to be an interpreter. No, they don’t need one, I was told. Oh… Okay. I hoped I could speak clearly enough to be understood. It turned out it wasn’t a problem. Most people there are multilingual. They live in England. Right.

I had dinner afterwards with the family of the girl playing the electric guitar in the picture above. That church was the sweetest group of people you could meet. It was a privilege to be asked to teach and give them what I could. I hope I get to go there again.

No comments: