Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dave Visits



I’m still trying to catch up with life since returning to England in February. I gave up trying to post the whole US trip here. I put the pics with a little commentary on my Facebook page. So let's move on with some February news.

One of the things that made it easier to return was knowing my brother Dave was going to visit us soon after. He had a trade show in Barcelona to attend. After that his youngest son Matthew would be coming and they would go somewhere special. Normandy was the front runner. I was jealous of France. I wished they could stay with us.

Careful what you wish for, they say. Dave came back from Barcelona to say that his wallet was stolen while at the trade show. He could get his credit cards replaced, and Matthew ended up bringing them with him. But Dave couldn’t get his driver’s license replaced without personally being there. So he couldn’t rent a car to drive to France.

So Matthew was limited to seeing London. And our family went with them, seeing places we never go because we live here. Like Abbey Road, in the picture above. We're standing in front of the recording studio. The actual crosswalk the Beatles walked across is so ordinary you would miss it if you didn’t know what it was. But we walked across it, along with dozens of people from all over the world, while local traffic sighed or cursed at the never-ending obstruction.

When I took Dave and Matt to Heathrow to see them off, I felt desolate. It was hard to see them go. But he gets to travel more often. He’ll be coming in May for another visit. I’m looking forward to taking him to a good curry place.

No comments: