Saturday, March 31, 2012

Visiting My Parents February 16-23

My first night in Bellevue, at my brother Dave's house, for the first time in my life.

Dave has set up his office in our old bedroom at Mom & Dad's.
They have the room, he has the gear. 

Petra and Doon Malekzadeh invited me to dinner before I left Seattle.
I did the wedding ceremony for them 17 years ago in Siegen, Germany.
We're down in Petra's basement workshop, where she makes and sells the coolest stuff.

On February 4 I was up in Norwich, getting ready to teach for my friend John Brown, at the church he pastors in Norwich. He was away in the United States for a time, and I was happy to be in his home preparing for the next day’s service. Then I got a call from my brother Dave in Seattle. He had just left my parents’ house and was a little emotional. 

“I’m not telling you what to do, Rob, but if you want to see Mom and Dad, sooner is better than later.”

Both Mom and Dad are in their eighties. Their health is good, but fragile. And it seemed more so to Dave at that time. So I figured that was the reason to go home. Only I couldn’t bring the whole family. We didn’t have the time or the money. I found the time quickly. Dave set it up for me to use his frequent flyer miles. Sooner than I have ever experienced I was on my way to Seattle, during February 16-23. 

It was so quick that it wasn’t clear where I would be staying when I got to Seattle. “Don’t worry, Rob, you’ll get taken care of,” said Dave. It turned out that I stayed at his place that first night. It was a shock to realize I have never stayed at his house in all the years I have known him. We always had a place with Mom and Dad, or with Joanie’s family (including Joanie’s sister Liz). So here’s a new twist: overnighting with my brother. He’s a great guy, so no complaints. 

The four of us siblings had determined not to tell the folks that I was coming. It might have sent them into “get the house ready for Rob” mode that they didn’t need to worry about. But at some point we had to tell Mom and Dad that I was coming. We had to say something to them as Dave and I drove over to their house. When I called, they assumed I was in London. I told them I’d been thinking of coming over and asked if that was okay with them. They said, fine. I said I was thinking of sooner than later. That was okay, too. Then the punch line: “Well, I flew in from London last night, and I am right now in your driveway because Dave drove me over!”

Pop came to the door, and we all had a great reunion. I spent the rest of the week with them, and with a little shopping, a chance to teach for the junior high school and high school classes at Calvary Fellowship, and seeing family and friends, it was over quickly. The timing was perfect. We are now praying to bring the family back in June.

No comments: