Friday, October 22, 2010

Serving Again In South Africa


Flying over Africa
Each time I have been to South Africa I have been like those who dream. I thought I was lucky just to be there. It has worked out that each time I have been asked to contribute, though I was not part of the official schedule. I show up, I do whatever I'm asked to do, and I think, "That was great but it'll never happen again."

So I was amazed to be asked once more to contribute to the 2010 conference. Some teachers had cancelled, leaving the organizers to ask God who they should invite. Someone suggested me. I'd just been to Mallorca as an emergency replacement. I was not crazy about repeating that. I knew that it would be cold in Cape Town, especially at night, I would have to work to get the messages together. I would have to do the Wednesday Bible study, the Friday funeral for Stefanie Sugden, Sunday at church, and then get on a plane that night and try to sleep on a rumbling jet for 14 hours to get there. I wore no rose colored glasses about being a super-hero.

But I couldn't say no. Having been challenged to pick a country to pray for on a long-term basis, I was praying for South Africa. I knew most of the pastors working there and wanted to get to know the rest. I wanted to do what I could to help the work there.

The conference messages were to be based on 1 Peter, a book I'd never taught before. I got the sections 2:1-10, and 3:1-12, the first having to do with radical transformation, and the second, lowliness of mind, two issues that have interested and gripped me. 

Somehow the Lord got me through all the work I had to do before leaving. Stefanie's funeral was filled with people sitting, standing in the aisles, on the stairs, in the balcony. I was greatly enabled to preach the gospel. Joanie and I met people we hope to stay in contact with and share the gospel. I was able to teach on Sunday, and the Lord was working in people's lives.

The plan had been to teach and come home. Then we changed it to laying over in Johannesburg on the way back and stay with Ryan and Bronwyn Parker. They had been at the church for some years before returning to South Africa. It would be a great time to check in on them and see how they were doing. It was kind of expensive to change the itinerary, but the Lord convicted me of being cheap. You don't go all that way and then sacrifice time because of being cheap. I paid the extra money to give me more time with the Parkers.

But at last I was packed, I had settled my itinerary, I was on the plane to Johannesburg, the first leg of the trip. On the plane I met a lady returning from a trip to Corfu. She introduced herself to me as Strawbs, short for her nickname Strawberry, referring to the color of her hair. As we chatted, I explained what I was doing. Amazingly, she had heard of Calvary Chapel. A friend of hers had often invited her to check out a Calvary Chapel in Durban, one of the churches we pray for weekly. I encouraged her to visit there.


The first thing that greets you in Cape Town is the Table Mountain.

Pastor Joey Buran teaches in his pajamas. His suitcase was misdirected, but eventually arrived. No one noticed his attire.

The conference was described by one of the pastors as sobering. 1 Peter is about suffering leading to glory. The men can relate to the suffering. Many were experiencing what speaker Joey Buran identified as "the beatdown", the discouragement the Lord uses to build character in a believer's life. I had amazing informal times of fellowship during the conference. The Lord had really answered prayer for several men, resulting in deep preparation for future work, and being supplied with tools to better serve the Lord.

I shared some music with Evan Williams.

After the conference I stayed at Demitri Nikiforos' place in Cape Town. I got to spend more time with musicians Michael and Golden Preciado, and Golden's parents Evan and Sherry Williams. I'm looking forward to staying in touch with these great people.

Pastor Julian baptized quite a few people. I couldn't stick around for the barbecue afterwards. Oh well...

I left early Sunday morning to teach at Calvary Chapel Kommetjie. The message was something new from Psalm 16. By God's grace it turned out to be prophetic, speaking to situations and people in the church. It's great to not know what is going on, and to know that the Lord is the one leading me what to say, so that people hear from God and not a man. After the service we went to a house with a pool in the backyard to have a baptism. Then it was off to the airport and Johannesburg.

An early morning conversation with Bronwyn.

Ryan dares it all to pet a lion cub.

Some of the trees seen on the Jacaranda joy ride. 

There I was picked up by Ryan Parker's father, André, to spend 2-1/2 days with Ryan and Bronwyn, their 1-1/2 year-old Noah. I had great conversations with the family, and even a joy ride in Pretoria, to see the jacaranda and bougainvillea blossom purple and red. All over the city, whole streets are lined on both sides with jacaranda, and it's amazing.

We drove to the airport in a storm, lightning and raining with a marvelous light. I got to say goodbye, then get in the plane for another 10 hours of rumbling no sleep. I got to give my comic book tract to a French couple who had been to Zimbabwe to see Victoria Falls.

I am deliriously happy to be home with Joanie, Holly, and Katie. They also share in the ministry as they give me up to do what the Lord wants me to do. There is also some talk about next year's conference. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised if I make another trip to South Africa.


No comments: