Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Conquering Typing

In 1989, anticipating buying a computer, I taught myself to type. On a typewriter, even. But the computer didn't happen when I thought it would and I didn't keep the typing up. When I eventually got the computer I was reduced to typing with two fingers and a thumb till this year.

In desperation I bought a dictation program so I could get more done. But the dictating was as much work as learning to type. So now, after twenty years of hunt-and-pecking, I found a website that taught typing, and I made myself do the lessons.

I am not good at this yet. But I am getting work done and I have renewed hope that I'll get better.

And then I got the email for the update to the dictation program. For fifty dollars I can get 99% accuracy right out of the box. Or, for continuing to invest a lot of work I can type on any machine and not be limited to the one I have the dictation program on.

This time I think I'll keep up with the typing.

I can do my weekly prayer requests. I can do this blog and my emails. I can write my next book (Maintaining The Missionary Lifeline).

It's a small victory. It may not mean much to you, but that's where I'm at right now. My pastor says rejoice over everything you can because sometimes that's all you have to rejoice in. He's right.

I trust God to make this an ongoing blog and be a help to those of you who want to keep up with what we are doing.

If you would like our weekly updates, you can register at missioncalvary.com, and they will send you them automatically when I post them.

God bless you this week.

No comments: